... Until now!
The good folks over at MiniatureMarket.com have teamed up with the bar to sponsor our first ever X-Wing Miniatures Painting Contest! Yeah, I know, right? Awesome!
So here's the skinny- from the time of this posting (Wednesday, 19 March, 4:00am Central Daylight Time) until 11:59pm on Wednesday the 26th (about a week, in other words), y'all can send in pics of your awesome X-Wing Miniatures models. Starfighters, big ships, conversions, stocks, whatever- it's up to you so long as it's an X-Wing Miniature- or at least started life as one, is still predominantly one, and you're the one that did all of the work.
1) I want whoever sends the pic to have done the painting. This being the internet and all, there's really no way for me to police this other than to ask you nicely to be honest and insist that you take a picture of the model with the TMB and MM.com Miniatures Painting Contest image somewhere in the background in at least one of your shots. The idea here is not to go and grab some picture off the net and submit it as your own work. You can hold your model up in front of your computer screen when you take the pics so that the image is in the background or you can print it out on paper and set your mini on top of it, whatever- so long as the ad is visible, at least somewhat legible, and not Photoshopped into the image. Oh, and this doesn't have to be an X-Wing Miniature painted especially for this contest- it can be something you painted earlier, that's totally fine so long as it or the pictures of it isn't somehow the property of someone else now.
2) Please, for my own sanity, send me no more than three pictures of your model. Three pics ought to be good enough to show off your skills and give me a good look at your ship. And don't make the images massively huge either, please. I'd like for them to be large enough I can see your work, but not like 4096x5400 or whatever, ok? I don't want to set like a firm dimensional limit on this- just use your own best judgement, aiight?
3) Entering more than one model is fine, but please send me a separate email for each entry and abide by these rules for each entry.
4) When you send me your pics, please include your full name and mailing address in your entry so MM and I know where to send your prizes if you win (more on that in a second). Please note, this contest is open to everybody- Americans, Canadians, English folks, whoever, but you gotta, gotta, gotta send me your real name and address along with your entry pictures. You also need to send the pics from a valid email address, or at least mention one in your entry along with your real name and address so I can contact you if you win.
5) I will announce the winners on here in the article I post on Friday, 28 March. If you're not cool with me using your real name on here, you need to tell me what you want to be called in your entry. If you win first, second, or third, I'll notify you by email.
6) As I'm (probably very foolishly) using my usual email address for this contest, please make the subject of your entry email, "TMB and MM Painting Contest" so I can keep my own personal email at least halfway organized, and for Christ's sake- if you have a question about the contest that you want to email me, don't use that exact phrase as your subject line, ok?
While I will absolutely credit you with the work you've done, the pics you send me will become property of TMB and the really good ones will go up as part of an image gallery of cool paint jobs that'll become a permanent fixture on the site here in the Arts and (Space)Crafts section. It's probably unlikely that you'd be sending me pictures that someone else owns the rights to, but I don't want anybody misunderstanding the intent here.
I'll be picking the winning entries. There's no real set selection criteria- just whatever I think looks the coolest wins. I don't care if your idea is perfectly detailed canon or something wild and original- if it looks awesome, it's got a shot. And I swear I won't be biased for or against Rebels or Imperials.
I hate saying stuff like this, but I have the right to reject any images that I don't feel would be a good fit for the audience here or for any other reason. In other words, don't send me ships with images that are pornographic or have curse words or whatever on them. No matter how well done it is, I can't be showin' stuff like that on here, man. Again, use your best judgement here people- I don't want to come up with a list of stuff you can't do for this.
Also, as this is the first time I've ever done something like this and I'm not a lawyer or anything, these rules may change if necessary. If they do, this article will be updated accordingly, so it might not be a bad idea to give this list another look before you email me your submissions.
Lastly, if you didn't follow the rules posted, your submission will be rejected immediately so please, please, please pay attention especially to those parts above that I've so helpfully underlined for you. If you get in a hurry and realized you screwed up your entry, just send me the whole thing, pics and all, over again rather than send me an email saying, "Oh hey- I forgot to put my address on my entry, here it is."
1st Place- An Imperial Aces Expansion from Miniature Market and a TMB.com t-shirt and sticker from me.
2nd Place- A TIE Fighter Expansion or X-Wing Expansion (your choice) from Miniature Market and a TMB.com t-shirt from me.
3rd Place- A brush set from Miniature Market and a TMB.com sticker from me.
Send your entries to my usual email address here- email@example.com.
So there ya go! Get to paintin' y'all! There's prizes to be won! And for God's sake, if you don't already do so, please at least consider patronizing Miniature Market with your next purchase of gaming goodies- having a contest like this was all their idea! How cool is that?
Good luck and may the force be with ya!